Increase your Motorhome weight (UK)


The question was asked on our Forums and Jon (JJF) came up with a definitive answer…

Anyone upped the weight of their van in NI? What process did you use? what company? what cost?

DIY or company?

The answer is for UK owners only.


You can do it yourself for a £15 fee.
Download and print this form

  • You need the following
  1. Photo of existing VIN plate;
  2. Photo of Motorhome manufacturer plate;
  3. Photocopy of Certificate of conformity – Fiat;
  4. Photocopy of Certificate of conformity – Motorhome Manufacturer;
  5. Photo of Vehicle taken from outside (showing existing registration number);
  6. Cheque payment – £15.00 !

Send all to:
Sent it off to VOSA / DVSA – at Padley road, Swansea

You should receive back a weight design cert within 14 days showing new weight.

You will need this form for road fund licence.

Fill out the V5 with change of vehicle details and enclose pics as above along with a comprehensive explanation of new figures to be amended and copy of the new weight design cert. send it to the DVLA in Swansea.

Order new vin plate with new details, lots of companies do those……. you will need to prove what it’s for but with all the paperwork that’s not an issue. Add the new vin plates when you receive. Alternatively you can have simple weight plates stamped and add over the existing weights on the original vin plate.

You should receive the V5 within 10 days.

Sounds complicated but in reality it’s not difficult. I have in the past up-plated a DAF 55 lorry from a box body to a tilt and slide for 2 cars plus a hydraulic spectacle lift at the rear and had to up-plate the weights as above. It all went through pretty easy but we were an approved repairer/workshop back then.

Original topic is here: